Welcome to 2019!
I’m really excited about this year even though I don’t know what’s going to happen or if it’s going to be any better than last year.
But I’m hopeful and grateful and I think it’s going to be a great one for me and you too 🙂
I’m not really good at making resolutions as they give me something more to procrastinate about. I just do it when it comes around and no, I do plan. Just not at the beginning of the year. Last year, I didn’t really have any resolution, so I can’t really tell how much I accomplished.
I’m going to write things I did last year and things I am going to do this year.
Things I did last year –
- Got enrolled in photography classes, did practicals and projects and met amazing friends.
- Got courageous in my writing enough to start sending out poems for publication and competition (haven’t really got one accepted yet but it’s still great).
- I got to participate in a open mic spoken poetry competition without chickening out (okay maybe I did fumble a little and got out after first round, but I went and I participated which was enough for me. Never had the courage to do share my poems talk less of reciting them in front of a crowd).
- Wrote a lot of poetry and increased my writings to 700+ and tried other forms apart from haiku and freestyle.
- Joined a writing community called Mirakee. Mirakee is an awesome community for writers, both professionals and amateurs. I published most of my writings there, though it’s been long since I’ve written anything. You can check it out here.
- Picked up my programming lessons on FreeCodeCamp, SoloLearn and Code.org. Learning Front-End development.
- Did my photography internship for three months with the coolest bosses EVER. Thanks Twanni! You too, Jumi and Jhannzy.
- Finally got into the university after trying twice without getting in. Finished first semester and it was great. Cool but extremely hard. Especially when you’re going to an Open University and you have to do most things yourself (starting to reconsider going to a conventional university. First gonna see how this semester goes).
- I met a lot of people and learned to survive on my own far away from home for almost five months (might not sound like an achievement but I’m the kind of person who thinks the coolest place on earth is her house. It was nice to finally go places and meet new people).
- Finally, I had my first camping experience. It was a Christian camp and I was in the campus section. It opened my eyes and helped to strengthen my faith. I can’t say I’m perfect now or things have really changed but I’m trying.
Things I want to do –
- Work on my faith – This is an important aspect for me as I tend to fall off easily. I just want to get to a point where I’m rooted in Jesus and not fall away over stupid things (I’d be happy if anyone would like to talk with me about this. Thanks!).
- Work on my studies – With school starting on Monday, I’ll have a lot on my hands soon. Studying, classes, assignments, etc. I don’t have my results yet from last semester, so I don’t know what my GPA is. But my goal is to raise my GPA and perform well enough. I’m not all about grades though. Just long term learning and understanding (if you’re a computer science student or in any tech related course, please say HI. Would love to meet a fellow student ☺).
- Read… A lot – lately I’ve found myself on medium and most things I read are tech related. I do read stories and poetry on Wattpad though. This year, I’m planning on buying paperbacks. I’m a huge fan of technology but I prefer reading physical books. E-books are not for me lol. They stress me after long periods even with my glasses on (recommendations are appreciated. I’m an adventure freak, sci-fi and maybe action with less lovey dovey stuff. I’m a romantic but don’t like reading about it 😂).
- Work on my hobbies – poetry and photography. It would be more awesome if I had a camera but I can make do with mobile photography for now. My poetry goal would be to write more and maybe have an e-book. I did try last year to get one but I dropped it like every project I had 🤦. Even worked on the cover designs with my friends in photography class (sorry guys!).
- Work on other creative stuff – like fiction or nonfiction, short stories or a novel. Always wanted to write a book (written 100+ since I could write. Always have a good story or bad sometimes but never finish it 🤦. Does it happen to anyone?).
- Work on my personal development – first thing I want to do is stop PROCRASTINATING and negative thoughts (although, I can’t help the negativity part because of my PTSD but I’m trying. I don’t want to be a sufferer anymore 😢). Once that’s done, I’m sure things will fall into place or I’ll just have the work done lol.
- Work on my relationship with others – I’m good at communicating with people and at the same time, I’m terrible at it. Gonna work on the terrible side of it. I’m a sensitive person and sometimes it feels overwhelming and I can’t handle my relationships with others. It upsets me because people don’t really get why I sometimes zone out.
- Explore – everything and anything, everywhere and anywhere. Adventures makes life fun.
- Make healthy choices – I’m not the most healthy person out there. Ice cream can attest to it lol. But I’m going to cut back on bad foods and exercise more.
There are probably others but I can summarize them all into this:
I just want to be the best version of myself God has always wanted me to be.
PS: Just figured out that I just wrote a resolution 😅. Get thee behind me, Procrastination!
Change is constant but people never really change.
– Chidera Nwosu
What’s your new resolution if you have one? And what are the things you need to stop doing and think you need to start doing? Do you relate to anything I’ve written so far?
Talk to me. I’d love to hear all about it.
Till next time,